Friday, February 13, 2009

Harrison Ford, I owe you


I recently saw a job posting for a local design studio I have been trying to get in touch with for some time now. This company and I had been playing email tag for some time now, with ends falling short here and there, so when I saw the posting I was immediately rejuvenated to get back into contact. I located an earlier correspondence we had, and began expressing my uninterrupted desire to meet in person and discover my value and talents. I hit send and instantly was excited. This could be it. This could be the end to my days of job searching and applicating, which should be a word in this struggling climate. I hit the sheets and imagined how great an opportunity this was. I could ride my bike, walk even to work. And, this was a
design company, not so much advertising or marketing, my nemesis that I must also call my closest friend. There is great potential to have a variety of design responsibilities. I could save on gas, mileage, have opportunities, bike, sunshine, and Harrison Ford. Why all the sudden was he there, Han Solo, The Fugitive, kissing Anne Heche on a deserted island. Rolling over with Dr. Jones, I thought it coincidence, the company being named Harrison Communications, Harrison Ford, they share a name. Or did they? My eyes popped open. Did I get the name wrong? I couldn't have. Naked, Harrison and I jumped out of bed, down the stairs and threw the Mac book open. Check sent mail. Open sent email. Check name. Harrison Communications is who I addressed, and, not correctly, Harrington Communications. I might have well written that email, printed it out and flushed it down the toilet in hopes for a response. That's about where I assumed I stood in their eyes. Conveniently, gmail does not have recall option for emails. I did what I could do best at 12:30 am and resent the same email, with the correct name, in bold, and red, with an apology. Harrison and I went back upstairs, got into bed and went to sleep. It was a crowded night, the three of us, and the cat.

That next morning I knew Harrison had come to save me, I just needed to determine how. Patience not on my side, I wanted to email Harrington every 5 minutes until they knew my sincerity. My wife, said wait, it hasn't even been a day. But I knew a day would turn into 10 or more if I didn't act. Use the force Harrison said. Perhaps I purchase one of those Han Solo live size cut outs, attach some form of communication and set it outside their office. the price on those things, aren't so bad, its the shipping that'll get you. $50 and more, I wasn't confident this was the best option. Plus, who wants to open the door to a life sized man pointing a death ray at you. I wanted to impress them, not shit their pants. Indiana could work...Still the expense didn't justify the means. Do I paste their windows with Harrison ford characters? Could I get Han on the roof without injury or trespassing charges? Or......do I mix creativity with.....creativity. It hit me. I could use Harrison and all his glory throughout the years, mix it with some Irish red style Ale I had made recently, name it Harrison's Red, deliver it to their office, and hope for the best. Perfection. A great idea, cost worthy, and everyone likes free beer. If nothing else, I get a name for myself, they get a good joke and a free six pack of homebrew. I spent the next couple days making the box, labels, cutting, gluing and the like. The smell of spraymount took me back 10 years to college. 

How was it going to get there? I could drop it off early in the morning, before anyone took to the streets. Then I thought of the location. Growing up blocks from there I knew hand fulls of kids walked those same sidewalks every morning to school. Hey! Free BEER! That wasn't going to work. I could sneak it in, they do share a door with another company. I could pretend to go in there and just leave it in their door. That just didn't seem right either. What if they saw me? what if the other company took it?  Finally I knew it had to be hand delivered, by a human, or Baba Fet. It couldn't be me. That would just be weird. My wife was busy, so I enlisted a good friend, instructed her on some specifics and let the cards fall where they may.

The delivery went well, as I was later told, and within hours I had an email from Harrington saying good job and to come in for an interview. Project Harrison was a success. My interview is this coming Tuesday.

Below Are some pics of the finished product.






No comments:

Post a Comment