Sunday, July 26, 2009

Michigan Beer Festival Friday

Taking a partial day, I drove through beautiful Oakland county, which inhibits (I believe) three Bloomfield cities. Some of these properties belong in the Smithsonian and I can only hope that someday I have something comparable, though it doesn't have to be in Bloomfield, perhaps a field with lower taxes and more bears. Yes bears. Pulling into Ypsilanti I had no idea where to go, but I saw hoards of people heading in some direction, I figures it'd be a good idea to follow. For if they didn't lead me to Riverside Park, they would certainly lead me somewhere that was second best. I came across Charles, a middle aged black man and asked if I was heading int eh right direction. "if your going to the beer festival you are" he replied. He mentioned he hadn't missed a year, reminiscing that the first festival was a field, or alley, I can't remember which. He was very polite and gave me some words of advice before I passed the gates "if they don't ask for a token, you don't give it to them" as he laughed. Oh, he also said not to bother going to the winter beer festival that is held in Grand Rapids because "it's colder than a motherfucker." I'm sure Charles was kidding about the first piece of advice, as he seemed the type not to take advantage of an easy situation. The second half of advice I think he was serious. Thankfully, I'm a foul weather man, bring it on I say, bring it on.

Passing through the gates was easy and off you go. Over 40 breweries producing over 300 samples. Some are old time favorites, some are special to the festival, and once they're gone, you may never have another opportunity to get them again, as they might not even be produced.

My first sample was from The Livery. I felt overwhelmed and under a self inflicted time restraint. they had at least three IPA's and I told the server to surprise me. He handed me a Double Paw, which was pretty tasty. From there I tried Short's Soft Parade. A recent article produced by Michigan beer Buzz led me to the curiosity of this brew when I stepped forward. Some wookie looking character insisted I try Founder's Maple Brown, and that my friends, was fantastic.

I then met up with good friend Matt Moberly from Bell's. He took me on tour of peeps I would have otherwise never met. Reps, owners, friends, and the like. It was a great adventure hearing some of the ins and outs from those who live it day to day. The atmosphere was very pleasing and friendly.

The Beers I had an opportunity to sample were, in no particular order.

Darkhorse's Smells Like Weed, an infusion IPA that the owner "just felt like brewing" and had no idea the IBU or anything. A true homebrewer experiment, he says at 30 minutes he just started throwing hops and more hops in.

Founder's Maple Brown. Sweet, a bit heavy, and hints of alcohol. Very tasty.

Short's Soft Parade. A fruit rye ale. Very good.

The Livery Maibock. At 10% this was pretty sweet and had strong hints of alcohol.

Round barn Wheat. Not terribly Impressed with this one.

Hastings Strawberry Rhubarb. I don't think I've ever consciously had anything that contained rhubarb before. If it tastes anything like that beer, sign me up.

Arcadia Blueberry Rye. Fantastic.

Cj's Chocolate Stout. This was pretty good. Stouts seem to be one of the more forgiving beers you can have, and this didn't miss any traditional marks, but also didn't hit any superior ones in my opinion.

Right Brain Honey Basil. I was very excited to get to the front of Right Brian's stand as I knew they would have something very unique. Basil in beer? It sounded very interesting. This beer had great olfactory. Sweet basil on the nose which was surprisingly pleasant. The taste was a mixture of, well, honey and basil. This was my best of show award for the evening.

Founder's Hot spite pepper ale. I couldn't do it. I had to pout it out. I'm such a wuss.

Corner Brewery Velvet Hammer. this was a barrel aged sour ale that I have only seen in a few locations throughout south east Michigan. I love sour, much more than pepper. This had some good malt notes and tone as well.

By that time I had to call it a night in consumption. The day was turning darker and I had to make my escape back to the east side to rest up for the Saturdays party.

No comments:

Post a Comment